Thursday 20 February 2014

Indie impressions (feat: Wordle)




Hi readers,Today I did a few rounds of my classroom and I gathered words related to indie music based. I asked my class mates what words they would use to describe an indie band, indie music and name a few bands. I then imputed all of my data into a website Wordle.

http://www.wordle.net/
Wordle is a website which allows users to create a netting of words and displays them is a fun and creative way. I used Wordle to represent my data because is it fun and reliable. Wordle offers numerous ways to display data, colour layout and font are the factors users can change o make their project their own.I created my own Autumn theme because I thought it looked good. I used a playful font as well to go with it. To find a suitable font I used the sites randomize feature which allowed me to search through a variety of fonts. This was useful as I was unsure about which font to use. I chose a mix of horizontal and vertical text as I wanted the information to have a random element making it more enthralling. 

Data I received was mixed I did not have much overlapping data. This is something I can benefit from for my magazine, a coloration of uncertainty and randomness is something I implement in my final piece. A lot of the words mentioned were similar however, edgy, quirky and original are all very samey as they mean roughly the same thing. I think I will play with the idea of an original concept into my piece, most likely in terms of the band as i still want a magazine which follows codes and conventions of other magazines. Two words, Quirky and alternative were mentioned more than once. Wordle highlights this data by increasing its size.
    
Wordle has really helped me present my data and i will see you guys tomorrow. 

No comments:

Post a Comment