Saturday 19 April 2014

"A new challenger approaches!" MOJO

I wanted to get a look at a magazine that does what I intend to not do, if that means anything. 
MOJO has a set niche audience for older audiences that like classics. You can see her tat Gene simmons from KISS and Pink Floyd where mentioned. This clearly shows that MOJO has a set audience. KISS was finished with in 2001 after their 13 month farewell tour. So a magazine section on KISS would be unheard of in a modern music magazine, such as I intend to do.However we both a niche market and that makes us similar
. First lets look at the image. Its big, real big it takes up the whole section This is unusual for a magazine to do... IF you are NME and Q. I won't do this but I will tell you why this WORKS for mojo. First off Rock is BIG and this Picture is big, And by big I mean Rock has always been about loud music, large venues and High levels of controversy (see this for proof http://www.biblebelievers.com/Rock1.html ) So the large over baring  picture works!. For my magazine which will feture a smaller band a large image will come across as cocky, obnoxious and uncalled for. My band as up and comers don't have the right do act like this just yet.

And now the text The text blends into the photo and this looks fantastic. I haven't seen it done on any magazine I have read before. It gives a very retro vibe that links in with the style of music, and I want to do this, but not like this. I need to define my text in a way to replicate the day and age my music based in. So... modern music... modern out look. The colour sheme also looks very vintage, Yellow on white can often be risky do to contrast reasons however the sand tone leaves it looking gritty and rustic.


No comments:

Post a Comment